Celebrating Nutfield's 300th Anniversary
The year 2019 marks 300 years since the First Settlers arrived in the Nutfield Grant and established the community that eventually became the towns of Derry, Londonderry, and Windham, and the Derryfield neighborhood of Manchester.
Anniversary preparations are underway through the historical societies, libraries, schools, churches and other groups in all four towns.
These pages will describe the 300th plans as they develop, and provide related resources and information:
- Events — view tentative and scheduled events in list or calendar format.
- Planning — access detials on the planning work underway in all towns.
- Help — learn how you can volunteer or provide financial support.
Celebration activities will run over several months so that every group can conduct their own 300th activities without schedule competition. Initial thoughts for the beginning and end of the Nutfield 300th Celebration are:
- Celebration activities kick off at First Parish Church in East Derry (where the first settlers first settled) in April, 2019 (the anniversary of when they arrived).
- Major town activities are foreseen around June for WIndham's Strawberry Festival, July 4th for Derry, and August for Londonderry's Old Home Days.
- Celebration activities conclude in conjunction with DerryFest in September.
Nutfield Celebration Ideas
A growing list of brainstormed events and activities from various sources.
- Commemorative coin, ornament, or other keepsake
- Illustrated children's book telling the Nutfield founding story
- Highland games exposition
- Regional culmination with joint fireworks etc.
- Beard contest
- Incorporation in local school curriculums
- Parades, possibly multiple, in different communities and/or themed
- Commemorative service and Founder's Day activities at First Parish in East Derry
- History lecture series
- Scottish clan gatherings
- Ancestoral families outreach
- Printed program(s)
- Art show or contest
- Enactments, of town separations, depictions of early life, military events, etc.